Chicken sick for 2 months?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by natashaandbrad, Nov 12, 2013.

1. natashaandbrad

natashaandbrad New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    TN
    Hi, I have a long story behind my sick chicken. I am new to chickens and got my first flock last spring. In September my flock was killed, except one chicken. She was going crazy by herself so I found two chickens on craigslist. They were about 4-6 months old. One died a week after I brought it home. Then my one surviving chicken got sick. She lost a lot of weight and I really thought she was not going to make it. I gave her antibiotics then I wormed her with safeguard. I also treated the other new chicken. I dosed her with safeguard twice (about a week apart). She then seemed much better. She has gained back almost all of her weight and acts normal. Her "voice" never returned to normal. The last few days I have noticed her sneezing and shaking her head a lot. She is still eating and drinking. Should I be concerned? Should I worm her again? She also hasn't laid an egg since the flock was attacked in September. Any advice would be much appreciated. This chicken has survived two animal attacks and being very sick . My daughter loves this chicken!!

2. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    She might have a cold. At this point I wouldn't worm her again, but I would watch her pretty closely over the next few days to see how she goes and whether the sneezing stops or continues.

What killed off your chickens? If it was a predatory animal that attacked then she could likely be in shock. That would explain why she still hasn't laid an egg.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. natashaandbrad

natashaandbrad New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    TN
    Thanks, it was some predator that killed her flock. We found the chickens all over the place. Some were decapitated and the rest had broken necks. None of them were taken or eaten, which we thought was strange. Our red chicken must have been hiding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by