Chicken sick. Leg goes sideways when she tries to stand . Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamievalerio, Dec 14, 2013.

1. jamievalerio

jamievalerio New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Rochester NY
    Post Preview
    I mistakenly posted this in predators, the wrong forum. I apologize for the dumb error.

For about five days now my chicken has been acting funny Sits in the corner ,does not move much She is eating and drinking but not much therefore not much poop to see.
    I ve given her antibiotics for two days ..slightly perkier but still not moving and can't stand.
    I moved her food next to her this am and she is eating well.
    I just noticed that she can't stand because her leg seems to be dragging...not connected to her body properly? When she falls on it it goes sideways and out from under her.
    She is a red comet , about 20 weeks old . I have raised her in a double sized cage/ crate the total area is 30" x 60". I could not put her with the full grown hens ...they were not nice to her and she was too small . I planned on introducing her to the other birds soon but now she's sick so that can't happen.

What to do? Is this some chicken disease?
    I can't imagine that her leg will heal if it's dislocated which it seems to be
    Help,
    Suggestions!
    I do not want to put her down!
    If I keep her separate can she survive without use of one leg .
    Will she lay. .?

I m at a complete loss ...what to do?
    Thank you for any help you can give me.
    ( I ve tried to post pictures. No luck so far. I'm still working on it. )

Title

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  3. jamievalerio

jamievalerio New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Rochester NY
    Thanks eggssive.....I think that's what she has. Her leg is extended out like the pictures and the antibiotic is obviously not going to help, since it's a virus. But I do have to note that she is eating and pooping but with difficulty, she crawls to food and water
    Is ther any cure , like some anti viral med ?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could just provide supportive care and she might regain use of he legs... A cople of mine have.

-Kathy

5. jamievalerio

jamievalerio New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Rochester NY
    We've been
    Hand Feeding and watering her
    Is there any concern for human exposure ?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks is no danger to humans. I hope she has a good chance to make it.

7. jamievalerio

jamievalerio New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Rochester NY
    Can anyone suggest a gentle way to end her misery. She's not recovering .. Very sad

8. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    So sorry to hear about your hen. We just went through the same thing with one of our hens. Legs gradually would not work. We think it was Mereks. We put her down this morning. We have had to put down a few chickens, and the quickest way for the chicken is to use the axe and take the head off. Sound horrible, but it is quick. I wrap the body in a towel and hold and hubby stretches out neck over a board, covering her head with his hand, then uses a hatchet with other hand. I hold body in towel until it stops flapping. Hard to do, but important not to let them suffer.

9. jamievalerio

jamievalerio New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Rochester NY
    I don't know if I can kill her that way I m ya try. But thanks for your suggestion . I wish I could just put her to sleep by injection. Prob not possible?

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is it possible she has an injury to her leg,have you felt for a fracture,is leg swollen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by