chicken sick or behaving strange?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmigrls, May 19, 2011.

1. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    [​IMG] One of my Buff Or has been acting aggressive and defensive for about a week now. She fluffs up her neck and tail feathers with her head down when approached by the others. She also does this in the coop while sitting, her tail end up in the air. The last few days I have noticed that she is in a nest most of the time including times at night rather than roosting. Today I pulled her out to see what is going on down there( egg bound)?? Couldn't fill anything. When I put her out to eat with the others she squirted a large amount of waste, like diarrhea. I have put electrolytes in their water but am not sure what else to do or how serious this might be. Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you have a broody. She is sitting on the nest because she wants to hatch babies.

3. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Happy Chooks- [​IMG] So her potty was not unusual? How long will this last? I have no rooster nor want more chicks. IS there any thing I should do or just let her be?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Was her poo really smelly? Like the grossest thing you've ever smelled, and you smelled it before you saw it? Resembles a cow pie - huge pile of poo?

If so, that's broody poo and normal. I'm convinced it's predator control, cuz nothing would brave that nasty stuff. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] They hold it in for days, so when it comes out it's just gross. And did I say nasty?

If you don't want chicks, you can search here for "breaking a broody" and you'll get lots of ideas how to snap her out of it. As long as she's broody, she won't be laying eggs either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by