Chicken sick weak legs

soulazen

Hatching
May 6, 2021
A few weeks ago I noticed that my 3 and a half year old chicken wasn't looking normal, she was heavy, swollen and slightly weak. Two weeks ago she became worse and was unable to go up to roost at night. She had become heavier, was walking slowly and like a penguin because her abdomen had become even more swollen. She cant be egg bound since she hasn't laid for over a year. She still eats and drinks like before. Up until today her symptoms remain the same. She just sits all day and when she attempts to stand up or walk, she cant even balance on her feet at all. When she tries, she struggles so much and just sits back down. She can't walk properly even a few steps, her legs seem very weak, her left one especially.
I can't seem to figure out what her problem is. I've given her proper doses of Kilvern Poultry Wormer thinking that it might help her but it hasn't. I've also been giving her apple cider vinegar in her water but neither has that helped.
Any idea what her problem can be? Is there something else i can do for her?😥

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    506.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    417.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    507.7 KB · Views: 13
It sounds like she has a progressive reproductive disorder, that may include egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, or ascites. Is her lower belly between the legs enlarged, spongy, or tight? This happens to hens sometimes as they get older. You should try to get her eating and drinking, and make her comfortable. If she seems to be suffering, it might be time to think about ending her suffering.

She has ascites, though it can be caused by numerous things like Eggcessive said, one possibility is heart failure, I lost a gander to it, towards the end their body is accumulating fluid and it causes this penguin like posture. Considering one leg is weaker than the other it could be caused by a tumor, mane Lymphoid Luekosis or Mereks.

Whatever the cause I’m so sorry you’re girl is this sick, all you can do is keep her comfortable if you can and enjoy the precious time you have with her and know that you’ve done all you can.

Back
Top Bottom