Chicken Sickness, need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DonnnyT, Sep 18, 2016.

1. DonnnyT

DonnnyT New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Hello everyone, I am new to Backyard Chickens. I recently got a house and have finally aquired 3 Plymouth Barred Rock hens. They were about a month old when I got them. I moved them out to the coop about 9 weeks old. They were doing fine. Last night I went out to check on them and one (usually very active) girl was cowering in the back. I went in to check and she had a huge lump on her chest that none of the others had. She was acting very sluggish and not like herself. After doing some reseach I came across that it could be normal or something bad. I couldnt find anything certain. So after hours of forcing her small amounts of apple cider vinegar and water mix, and making her throw up. The bump seemed to go down alittle and she was more active. I took her in for the night to keep a eye on her but sadly, she died this morning. I buried her and now another one seems to have the same symptoms! I am feeding them starter feed until they start laying. I need to figure out what is going on so I dont do the same thing to this one, withouth the knowledge I dont want to be hurting them more than helping. I dont know what is going on and would love some advice from yall! Thanks alot and hope to hear back!

Donny

2. Brienna

Brienna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    Welcome to BYC :)
    Could the bump on her chest simply be the crop?? It's on the right side of a chicken's chest. It can be all kinds of sizes during the day. It should be full at night and check first thing in the morning to make sure it is empty (withhold food for the night until you go check on them in the morning to make sure they don't eat before). If you can still feel something hard, there might be an impaction.
    I would advise to not make a chicken vomit as it can be pretty dangerous (they can aspirate the liquid back into the lungs).
    How is your chicken acting and what does the poop look like??

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Were you providing them grit at all? If feeding anything other than the Starter food, they need grit for their gizzards to break down food...
    Hmmmm?
    Sounds like an impacted crop? Not sure though....More on nutrition needs to be shared.....

4. DonnnyT

DonnnyT New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Im feeding them just Purina starter and grow non medicated feed.. Thats what I was told to be feeding them by the local feed store. Until they start laying. One of our other girls is kinda showing the symptoms, I left her in the coop and she seems to be getting better. I fear that in my attempts to help her, I may have done more bad then good. I figured I would leave the other one alone and see what happpens. From what I read online, I figured it was sour crop. Tell me more about the grit. Thanks again for all your help!

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I always feed Medicated starter even if they say chicks were vaccinated for Coccoid..
    Use Medicated till 8 weeks..or even 12 weeks depending on your region?
    If you feed or introduce ANY OTHER FOODS..Chicks need grit..Sand, small stones...You buy it at the same place with the feed..Ask for it!
    Sorry for your trouble....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by