chicken sickness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sabinechicken, Nov 1, 2010.

1. sabinechicken

sabinechicken New Egg

Nov 1, 2010
    My chicken is really sick and i would appreciate any help anyone could give me on how to treat her.
    She cant stand, has a swollen but, has horrible diarrhea is swaying back and fort, and is breathing heavily. She is eating and drinking normally. Please help me if you can as soon as possible
    Thankyou

2. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Is she laying age yet? Could be egg bound...

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. sabinechicken

sabinechicken New Egg

Nov 1, 2010
    She is laying shes about 5. Her swelling is about the size of a softball. Is there anyway to know for sure, or any treatment for his?
    Thank you so much for replying

5. sabinechicken

sabinechicken New Egg

Nov 1, 2010
    Im not sure if she is egg bound because she can no longer walk and looks awful...and she still eats normally while drinking a lot of water. While reading the "egg bound hen thread"(Thank you i found it very helpful) it seems she would not be eating as much and her condition would not be as severe, if she were egg bound. She looks very close to death. Do you think i should soak her abdomen or attempt to remove the fluid inside?
    Thanks

6. sabinechicken

sabinechicken New Egg

Nov 1, 2010
    Her legs also seem to be somewhat paralyzed...

7. pawprint2104

pawprint2104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    I'm too new to this to offer any advice. Hugs to you and your hen. I hope someone here can provide you with some advice. All I could say is, give her a thorough beak to tail inspection. Look for any discoloration, tenderness, broken skin, etc. A pic would be useful, too.

8. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    geez hon, i really don't know. I have not had any hens that were that old and there's different diseases that come up after they reach certain ages. maybe google chicken swollen vent? or try private messaging kathyinmo or speckledhen on BYC and see what they say. pics would be helpful though.

9. sabinechicken

sabinechicken New Egg

Nov 1, 2010
    Thankyou so much for your help. I will try emailing then to see if they have any idea

10. sabinechicken

sabinechicken New Egg

Nov 1, 2010
    Thank you so much for your help. I will try emailing then to see if they have any idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by