chicken sits on eggs and doesn't leave them

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rbum, Jan 11, 2015.

1. rbum

rbum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    I have 2 Rhode Islands and one seems to sit on eggs and not move. I picked her up yesterday put her in the run for awhile and she ate and drank. Face still has good color including comb. Is she sick? I don't see any problems with her,last week one was killed by a dog. Is she just scared?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    She's broody and trying to hatch the eggs :) Totally normal, and as long as she gets up once a day to eat and drink she will be fine. If your eggs are fertile she will hatch you some chicks.

3. rbum

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the info. She had the wife and I worried.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI

I agree but I would also politely add: if the eggs are not fertile, take them away, every day and search this thread for how to break a broody hen. Setting is very hard on the hen, she will shed her belly feathers, get no exercise and be vulnerable to lice and mites too. Just another view,my two cents on the floor...

5. rbum

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    Thank you Pyxis

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, she is broody. Do you have a rooster? Is there any chance she is laying "fertile" eggs? If so let her have a go at it. Just make sure she eats, some broodies will starve themselves because they will NOT leave the nest. She may also start growling and puffing up if you try to approach the nest - that is broody talking. Once she is no longer broody she will return to her usual personality.

7. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

You're welcome! I saw in another post that you have no rooster. Will you get her fertile eggs? If not it's probably best to break her as stated above, for her health.

8. rbum

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    I don't want to get a rooster but have considered it since 2 were killed by stray dogs. I raise them for their eggs only.I will try to break her from the broody stage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by