Chicken sitting in pool of yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by austradork, Jul 25, 2011.

1. austradork

austradork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    This morning I observed that my Barred Rock Hattie was making a bigger racket than usual when laying her egg. After a while I went out to make sure she was okay, and I hand fed her some mealworms while she was sitting in the nest box. When she jumped out of the nest box I saw that she had been sitting in a pool of warm yolk (probably the whites too but whites are harder to see). I did not see any broken shells so I don't think we have an egg eater on our hands. Besides, the nest boxes pretty small it would be almost impossible for a chicken to simultaneously stand in the nest while bending down to eat an egg. I skimmed through this forum and found reference to chickens laying shell-less eggs, however, these chickens seemed to have laid "perfect" shell-less eggs meaning they were shaped like someone had cracked them over a pan. Hattie's yolk was not distinct and looked more like raw scrambled egg mixture. This is the first time I've seen a chicken sitting in a pile of yolk, although I have seen small dried bits of yolk on our eggs before. Might anybody know what's going on my sweet little Hattie?

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just hearing about a problem like this the other day. What that person ended up doing was feeding the chicken extra calcium. I'm sure exactly what the problem was but it sounded like the chicken didn't make enough calium to form it's egg shell. So the owner fed it extra calcium (I'm not sure how... maybe crushed up?) and the chicken ended up forming eggs as normal again. It's worth a shot, right? Hope this helps. Keep me updated [​IMG]

3. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I hope she's not egg bound. Sometimes they will get an egg stuck inside and if it breaks inside of her body it can cause fatal damage. Check her vent to make sure she's okay. If she is egg bound, you may want to cull her so she doesn't suffer. [​IMG]

4. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Quote:If she is egg-bound, however, try soaking her bottom in warm water. The rest of the egg should come out.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree with the previous poster. It sounds like she's either egg-bound, or laid a shell-less egg and accidentally broke it.

I think it would benefit her greatly if you checked her vent internally for shell peices, and soaked her butt in warm water. Just to be sure!

6. austradork

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    I checked her vent yesterday and didn't see anything out of the usual. No swelling, no bleeding, no egg shell. Honestly though, I could only get a good look at the outside. I held a flashlight to her vent but still could only see maybe 1 centimeter inside. She seems to be doing fine this morning though! Thanks for all the replies : )

7. austradork

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:Huh! How does soaking help expel egg shell pieces? Does the warm water relax the vent or something? Interesting!

8. austradork

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Actually, we just switched feed! Maybe the new feed has less calcium - I'll have to check. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Huh! How does soaking help expel egg shell pieces? Does the warm water relax the vent or something? Interesting!

Yep yep you're right on track. The warm water relaxes the vent, and you can massage the chicken's belly, starting at the chest and working back. This will work anything down the ovaduct that shouldn't be there. Hopefully it's all unecessary, but better safe than sorry.

10. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    My cochin pooped out yolks quite often when she was first starting to lay, and also rubber eggs, but then she began to lay normal after about a month of weird eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by