Chicken sitting on all the eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunnydee, Nov 28, 2008.

1. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    One of my girls has decided she wants to sit on all the eggs. I have two nest boxes but the use the same one. Yesterday, one of them decided she would sit on 4 eggs. We let her do this for about 2 hours, then my daughter went over and took them but replaced them with some golf balls. She was not a happy camper at all! Does this mean she is going broody? They have only been laying for about 3 weeks.

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, what breed is she??? She may be trying to go broody, but if she is she may not set the full time for hatching.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Exactly, though my silkies went broody quick and set the whole time needed without an issue... in fact one is still setting on NOTHING and she's been there the full 21 days plus on nothing. [​IMG]

4. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    She is a buff orph. She is the biggest one out of the bunch. She sure makes funny noises when you go near her sitting. As soon as we took the eggs she jumped off.

5. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    I have a buff orph thats doing the same thing.She sits on the other chickens eggsshe's broody I'm sure.I have to take her off the nest everyday,close the coop door,so she'll eat,drink and poop.I don't think she'd ever leave the nest.I also take the eggs.She'll sit on nothing if she doesn't have any eggs to sit on....I just assume she's broody.If not, I don't know what her problem is.She's healthy and fat.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  6. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    She doesn't do it all day. Seems like she waits til the other girls r done laying then she spends like 2 to 3 hours in there! She also lays an egg every day, so maybe she is just a slow layer. lol Crazy girls. I am getting a roo soon, so I can't wait to "let her" sit on them in the spring time. Guess I better start making plans on expanding the coop!! [​IMG]

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    2 of mine have been sitting on nothing for days ,they are only 8 mths old so today I put 2 eggs under each of them and we shall see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by