chicken sitting should I seperate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    My brother-in-law is going to Japan for 2weeks and has asked me to chicken sit his 1+ year old hens. My hens are 11 weeks old. I don't think I should keep them together. Or will having them together promote egg laying? LOL What do you think?

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Well, if these flocks have grown up separately, they could pass disease to each other. Also, the older hens are very likely to bully strange young ones. So I would keep them separate!

3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    is his place close enough to go to daily so they can be kept at their own place. if not he needs to pay a neighbor to feed and water them.

4. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    no they do not live close enough to go daily, he brought them over last night. I have them in a huge watering trough right now, I am not putting them together yet. My husband is out of town until Sunday and I don't want them fighting without him here, because I don't pick up my birds, I'm scared. LOL [​IMG] Heck when my brother was getting them out of the cage they were in for the ride over, one of his girls bit him. I'm not touching them or putting them with mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by