Chicken Sitting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by baGAWK123, Apr 13, 2012.

1. baGAWK123

baGAWK123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Hi there!

I'm new to chickens, and I'm going on vacation for 8 days and was wondering what you do with your chickens when on vacation?
    I'm assuming you must need a "chicken sitter," someone to let them out in the morning, put them in at dusk, check the feed and water. But where do you find a someone to watch your chickens? Is there a website? I live in Maryland, would BYCer be up for the job of watching my chickens? Or can I just leave the pop door open and have them be fine on their own?

Thank You!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

You can't leave the pop door open as something else will get in, they will not be safe.

I just get my pet sitter to do it.

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Do you have any friends or family that could watch them for you. May be a responsible young adult you know could do that for you.

4. baGAWK123

baGAWK123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks for your replies! 4 of my neighbors have chickens, and they are not interested in watching mine. My dog sitter does not know a thing about chickens. I do have 3 roosters that are a handful, I don't trust them with young/Pre teen children. I think I will go to my local feed store, and see if the owner know any one who can handle my flock. Once again, thanks for your replies! [​IMG]

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Make a way to feed/water from outside- then it's safe for the dog sitter to do.

6. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    We have a PVC gravity feeder that holds about 2 weeks worth of feed and a 5 gallon bucket with the nipples on the under side. When full (well almost full) it is getting low about the same time as the feed--almost two weeks. I am sure this will change as we heat up in the summer. We are planning a vacation in July and our house/pet sitter will be here. I plan to fill the food tube and water bucket before we leave. It should get them through till we get back. If not, she can add a couple gallons of water to the bucket and a few scoops of food to the tube. Otherwise just throw out some scratch and collect eggs daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by