Chicken size?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MtnBiker, May 26, 2016.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker New Egg

May 26, 2016
    We are new to chickens and recently got three chicks. They were all hatched on April 26th, so they are about 4 weeks old now. One of the three is now over twice the size of the other two. Even her feet are huge! She is so large (fat) that she cannot balance on a perch while the other two jump up and down and roost just fine. I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong or if the smaller two are bantams or something. Any ideas?
    The smaller two are a gild sex link and a Silver laced wyandotte. The big girl, who we now call butterball is supposed to be a buff araucana.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The larger bird could be a meat bird. Bantam chicks are 1/2 the size of reg chicks at hatch so if they were all the same size when you bought them, they are standard chickens. Give us a picture.

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Chicks were all the same size when we got them. I have tried to upload pictures but it does not seem to be working for me for some reason?

4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker New Egg

May 26, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Cornish cross.

6. MtnBiker

MtnBiker New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Ah-ha, so that explains her size, fast growth and huge feet/legs. Chicks were purchased from a feed store about an hour away from us by my parents, so we did not pick them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by