1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken, skinned alive...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by onewildchild, May 20, 2016.

1. onewildchild

onewildchild New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Hi, I could use some advise. My chicken has been skinned alive, I shall say. She may have been stuck in garden fencing as she is free range so I'm not sure how this happened. The entire right side under the wing has been skinned off, the bad part is the skin and quills/feathers are dangling off of her. I need to know if I can cut that piece off without hurting her or causing her to bleed out. Yes she has been separated from the flock. Any help would be great, Thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Bumping this thread for help.

3. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    I don't know a whole lot but it looks like the skin is barely hanging on. If thats the case I would clip it.also clean It or spray It with vetracyn. chickens are tough just keep It clean and keep an eye out for infection. some people also use neosporine w/o pain relief but I just use blue kote when I think it's necessary.

4. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    how is she doing?

5. Therese 11

Therese 11 Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    I have seen that before and one of the only things that you could do is cut the piece off, or put it down. The best and safest thing you could do that would couse the least pain would be to put her down. So sorry! Therese

Last edited: May 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by