Chicken "skinned" by evil dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hiker125, May 20, 2011.

1. hiker125

hiker125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    I had a horrible thing happen this AM. My dog tore through a welded wire fence and got my babies. He ate three before I could get to the scene. [​IMG]

I managed to rescue three, but two are in terrible shape.

I didn't have time to take pics because of course, we had to leave for school and work. I did clean up the birds with sterile saline and put some betadine on their wounds. Put them each in a hospital nest with food and water close and left them in our garage.

One of the birds doesn't look too bad, but I fear that she has a deep puncture wound. I could really tell how bad it was without hurting her too much. When we left she was very listless and not moving much.

The other looks like she has been skinned alive and is missing all the feathers on her head. It looks as though she is missing large area of her skin. The muscle isn't punctured, but very raw looking. Her flight feathers are gone along with some "flesh" on the wings. She was moving a bit more and seemed more alert.

I do have some tylan 50 at home, would this help? Is there anything else I should do? Should I cull before the sweet girls suffer any more?

Thank you for any advice.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry! That's terrible! i wouldn't cull just yet. Chickens can be fairly hardy so you may want to give them a couple days and see how they're doing. You did the right thing to isolate and clean the wounds. You may want to pick up some Blu-Kote at the feed store. It is usually in the horse section. It is an antibacterial, antifungal wound coating. You can get spray on or dab on. i use the dab on. Not sure about the Tylan, i thought that was primarily for respiratory illness. My vet usually prescribes Baytril for my birds when they're sick. Other folks may have better suggestions on what antibiotic you might find at a feed store that may help.

Hope they make it. [​IMG]

3. Laigaie

Laigaie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    I have a australorp mix who was caught by a neighbor's dog and is missing a large chunk of skin. Without antibiotics, she's been completely fine. Her skin is growing back, and she still lays every other day, the crazy chicken. Once her skin is back completely, she'll be in with the others, but right now she's living in a kennel in the garage. Ours is just skinned, no actual damage below the connective fascia (no muscle got hurt). I'm so sorry about your girls, and I hope the best for them!

4. AChickenLoverProduction

AChickenLoverProduction Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    I had a chick that was attacked by its siblings, they had plucked all of his wing feathers out, a began to peck at the skin they exposed. They also did the same on his head, but deeper! I brought him inside and gave him food and water, and everyday put some Neoporin on his wounds. After awhile he began healing on his own, so I stopped. Now his Name is Scabby, and he is back with his original owner! (I hatched and raised him until about 2 months) I hope your chickens heal and can continue on! Best of luck! [​IMG]

5. hiker125

hiker125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    Just an update- Poor little thing passed away tonight. She was such a fighter. I appreciate everyone's kind advice and positive thoughts.

I never thought that I would be so attached to these little bundles of fluff. [​IMG]

6. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    I am so sorry to hear about your girls. [​IMG] :: hugs ::

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by