Chicken sleeping most of the time

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wendigo, Aug 19, 2013.

1. wendigo

wendigo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    I might be paranoid because I lost quite a lot of chickens this year, but better safe than sorry. I have this one 5 months old chicken that sleeps most of the time. She eats and drinks normally. I cought her many times now falling asleep while standing up. Really, she seems narcoleptic. Sometimes she keeps her eyes half opened and she almost seems to have a hard time keeping them opened. When she's eating she also holds them half opened, sometimes even closed. If stimulated she will run. What's going on?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might have worms, or Coccidiosis. I once had a chicken who acted really sleepy. Starting at around 5 1/2 months old, she would walk around, but would close her eyes all the time, just like yours. When I would hold her, she would almost fall asleep. This went on for a few months, as I thought that it was just her temperament. Eventually, I treated her for Coccidiosis, as I started noticing slightly bloody droppings. I also dewormed her. Now, she acts like a normal chicken most of the time, but is still one of my gentler birds.

So, I would treat for Coccidiosis first. Coccidiosis causes paleness, sleepiness, droopiness, unthriftiness, and bloody droppings. Get some 9.6% Corid for cattle, and treat with that. The dosage is two teaspoons per gallon of water, given for five days. See if that helps.

I'd deworm her after using Corid, especially if you haven't noticed much of an improvement. Some good broad-spectrum wormers are Valbazen and Safeguard (for goats). I myself use the Worminator, which contains the active ingredient Flubenvet (http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584).

Hope this helps!

3. wendigo

May 8, 2013
    There is no blood in the poop. This chicken won't let me touch her. Whenever I put my hands on her she runs away. I also noticed something today. She's doing some weird movements with her head. When sitting down it almost looks like head banging. She slowly pulls her head backwards and then quickly moves it forwards. It looks like she's gasping for air but she doesn't open her beak. When standing up she kinda shakes the head. I thought it might be the hot weather causing her to be sleepy but with the new head thing going on I'm not so sure.

4. wendigo

May 8, 2013
    Ok, after watching her some more I am 99% sure that it's something with one or both of her eyes. This would explain the weird head movements and the half opened eyes. But the thing that almost convinced me was seeing her missing as she tried to eat the feed. She also tried to jump on her stick but she lost balanced. Is there anything to do for her?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure whats wrong. Her lack of balance and sleepiness might be caused by an ear infection. You could try giving her some antibiotics like Penicillin or oxytetracycline, and see if that helps.

Do her eyes look okay? Are they grey in any areas, or are the pupils mishapen or cloudy?

6. wendigo

May 8, 2013
    They look pretty normal to me. I'll try some Penicillin.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Look up ocular Marek's.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by