Chicken sleeping on floor of coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenpotter, Oct 24, 2015.

1. chickenpotter

chickenpotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va
    I went out to lock my chickens up this evening and count them as I do each night. I have seven and only counted six. One of the SLWs was missing. I looked in throughout the front windows of the coop with a flashlight and I couldn't see her anywhere. It occurred to me to lift the egg access door and see if she was in a nest box. She wasn't, but she was on the floor of the coop nestled up against the hardware cloth of two nest boxes that are closed off. She woke up and looked at me, but seemed to want to stay where she was. I decided to leave her till morning.
    Should I be worried? Or go back out to the coop and get her out and check her over? None of my girls have ever slept on the floor. It seems like it might be because something is wrong.
    Any suggestions?

2. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

One of my chickens do that all the time. She should be okay, I don't think you have to worry about it. Is she molting? Maybe she just cant fly up onto the roost. She could also not prefer the roost for some reason.

3. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Have you seen her in the nest all the time throughout the day? She might be a broody hen, I know they tend to sleep near the eggs. Or she might be an outsider in the flock..

4. chickenpotter

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va

I guess I'll try not to worry. She isn't molting. Maybe it's the same as me preferring to sleep on the couch sometimes, haha! Thanks for the reply!

5. chickenpotter

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va

She was outdoors free ranging earlier this evening. I didn't see them go to bed. I guess I'll check her over real well in the morning. Thanks for the reply!

6. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by