Chicken sleeping outside

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rangerlou, Sep 28, 2012.

1. rangerlou

rangerlou Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    harrow
    Hello
    I have a hen that will not go into the coop at night. She has been sleeping outside in the pen for about 3 weeks. My pen is secure and she is safe from predators but I am worried with the cold weather coming. Any suggestions to get her to reintegrate with the flock in the coop?
    thank you
    ranger

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Pick her up and put her in the coop. do this few times. she probably enjoying sleeping outside. Maybe she has a bully and she doesnt want to be near them. ,

3. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Don't worry. She's wearing a down coat and the cold does not affect her as it does you. (Think about birds in the wild.)

Secondly, can you see a reason why she may be avoiding the coop? Do you have at least one linear foot of space per bird on the roosts?
    She may be at the bottom of the pecking order and if there isn't enough roost space she may not be allowed inside.

Are the roosts comfortable--flat and about 2 inches wide? Are they made of a material that isn't slippery? Check her over for injuries--is she able to hop up to the roosts and sit comfortably?

If you're satisfied there is no other reason for her sitting outside other than her own preference, don't worry about it any more and let her do her own thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by