Chicken smell in ex-coop?

flurg

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2015
I have a shed I was thinking of using as a coop. It would be a nice size and since it's already in the yard, it's perfect (no extra work!).

However, I was wondering ... if at some point we decide to not have chickens, will we want to use the shed any more? If it stinks like the dickens then storage shed might not be useful if all storage items take on smell.

I could pressure wash or something but do the odours soak into the plywood? Should I put down a thin layer or sacrificial ply that I can take out when the chickens are no longer there?

I'd appreciate any opinions.

I went through the same thing. I had a shed that we used as a chicken coop and then when we moved, we got rid of the chickens and sold the shed. When we got rid of the chickens, all we did was scoop up pine shavings and sweep it out. The first person to look at the shed said he definitely smelled chickens. After that, we did a little more and cleaned more thoroughly. It probably took about 2 hours. After that, the chicken smell was gone.

I have a shed I was thinking of using as a coop. It would be a nice size and since it's already in the yard, it's perfect (no extra work!).

However, I was wondering ... if at some point we decide to not have chickens, will we want to use the shed any more? If it stinks like the dickens then storage shed might not be useful if all storage items take on smell.

I could pressure wash or something but do the odours soak into the plywood? Should I put down a thin layer or sacrificial ply that I can take out when the chickens are no longer there?

I'd appreciate any opinions.
Might be a good idea.
Depend on how you handle the manure and how dry you keep the coop.
I covered my shed floor with heavy duty foam backed vinyl...a single sheet, no seams to let moisture seep thru...to protect floor, and use a poop board under roost to collect most of droppings.

Thanks for the replies. They at once confirmed my thoughts and reassured me about the future.

Time to go get some chickens!

Back
Top Bottom