1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Snacks--- feedback, pretty-please?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Astrid, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi there,
    We've had our four hens since July and I'm ashamed to admit we spoil the heck out of them!
    They have free access to fresh water and layer pellets mixed with oyster shell at all times, and some scratch in the morning to play with, but in the afternoons we like to take them a little snack. Could you please look at my list of snacks and tell me if anything is really BAD for them?
    I guess I just need some feedback on their diet from all you knowledgeable people!

Snacks:
    oatmeal (made with water)
    grits (made with water)
    leftover cornbread
    a chunk of cabbage (they love to pick at it)
    the outside leaves of a head of lettuce
    carrot peels
    old bread
    leftover pasta
    mealworms

Thanks,
    Astrid

2. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I give mine butter spegetti(sp) AND they LOVE IT! So the other day I took some out and sat on my bucket and held up a piece, OMG, I have never laughed so hard! Try it, but first they have to know how much they like it![​IMG]
    It reminds me of the cabbage on the string, even my more shy ones were jumping on my lap. There heads bobing, beaks snapping....

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    On the learning center there's a list of snacks that are good for the peeps. We spoil ours, too. And slyfox is right; noddles are WAYYYY too much fun. I like watching them get slurped up!

Another fun treat is live crickets. Buy a tube from the bait store and watch you peeps chase them down!

Ours also seem to enjoy tearing apart the birdseed bells sold for songbirds...

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by