Chicken snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Its Just Us Chickens, May 12, 2009.

1. Its Just Us Chickens

Its Just Us Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    We had our first one in the coop today. Kids went out to get eggs and found a snake in the coop, came running out screaming. Guess they scared him as bad as he scarred them because when DH went out to kill it, it was gone.

Anyhow, is there anyway to discourage snakes from getting in the coop?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    moth balls kinda work...

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    guinea hens are good at killing snakes

4. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Hi, I just joined this forum and I'am excited to hear from other animal lovers. I also have a huge problem with snakes. I live on 13 acres and we are surrounded by a river. I just killed a snake this am and it's only May. The snake was heading toward a bird nest on my back porch. I heard the parents making all kinds of noise so I looked outside and saw the snake clinbing up the beam. I quickley grabbed a shovel and did away with it. I'am sure the parents were relieved!! I also have snakes in my chicken coop and do not know how to stop them from eating my egg's. The snakes do not bother the chickens but are a pain in the ##@^. Pleasae, someone tell me what to do. Thanks..

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Try fixing all means of entry, ie: holes, cracks chicken wire less than 1/2 by 1/2inch.
    the less rodents you have the less snakes you will have, this means put all feeds in a container that is rodent proof.
    living by a river is paralell to having rodents which in turn bring in the snakes.
    rather than kill them remove them to a different part of the acreage.

I am not a huge fan of killing any snake thats benificial to rodent control.
    if its not venomous leave it alone.

you can only intervene in nature for so long before you wish you had some sort of recourse.

6. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Put old light bulbs and golf balls in the nest. Snakes seem to be unable to tell them from eggs after the chickens have sat on them. I think it is the smell. Anyway, after they have eaten a couple of these things, they die.

When you have a snake hiding in a wood pile or brush, spray in there with a CO2 fire extinguisher. They are cold blooded, and this brings them out right away. Be prepared, they will not be happy when they crawl out.

Don't handle dead snakes, just dispose of them.

Rufus

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Thanks for the advice however, I dont know if these snakes are venomous or not. I also have a Umbrella Cockatoo who loves to sit outside in her cage in the Summer and soak in the Ray's while we are working in the yard. I found a 4-5 foot black (very wide around) snake in her cage one afternoon. Thank God she wasn't in the cage at that time. I dont know if they would harm my Too and I'am not going to take any chances. so I killed the snake. I have racoons who have killed some of my Ducks and Hens before and I of course completly had to re-do my coop but I trapped the racoons in a live trap and re-located 13 racoons that summer. They came back needless to say. I'am not a fan of killing any animal whatsoever. I will try the lifgt bulbs and the golf balls as the other person mentioned. Thanks again. Ray
    Quote:

8. jonathansenn

jonathansenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    mothball work pretty good. I would try that.

9. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    Question. Do men always ask, "Does it have slanted eyes?" when a woman screams SNAKE! [​IMG]

DH doesn't ask that anymore. I said, "I could only tell you that if I had eyes on my fanny!" [​IMG]: It's amazing how fast a little ole lady can run in the opposite direction!

I've had a couple of incidents with copperheads. I almost stepped on one and DH rode by on the lawnmower and it struck at him. We don't kill harmless snakes.

10. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Don't forget that mothballs are toxic to chickens. Find a container with a good lid, put the mothballs inside and then poke holes in the container.

I had a rat snake kill one of my chickens. The chicken was too big for the snake but it killed it anyway. So we, in turn, killed the snake! ...btw, our chickens are not laying and their food is kept out of the coop so the ONLY thing the snake could have been after was my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by