1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chicken sneeze or hicup

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by plymouthrocksrock, Jan 2, 2011.

1. plymouthrocksrock

plymouthrocksrock In the Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Hi All,
    Today as I was walking down to the coop, I heard a loud, high pitched honklike noise. At first,I thought the neighbor kids were tooting their bicycle horns. However, when I reached the coop, I found my eight month old white EE making the noise. I thought she might be sneezing, but even after I let them out to romp she still made the sound, not as loud, but she was still making it. Because of the sounds frequency and change of loudness, I thought it might be hicups, although I have never heard of such a thing involved with chickens.
    Please help me identify the noise, and if it is sneezing, I'll check for the noise again tomorrow to see if she has a cold. If it is hicupping, well, maybe I'll just watch for it again.
    Thanks

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Sometimes my girls make that noise when they get a piece of food stuck - high weazy honk. I tell them to get a drink, but they don't listen [​IMG]

I am hoping that is all it was and that she is back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: