Chicken Sneezing - Why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countyroad1330, Jan 23, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    My four month old Light Brahma banty has been sneezing for almost two weeks now. Its just a little sneeze that sounds more like a hiccup, and there's no snot. That is her only symptom. Should I be concerned? Do I need to bring her inside? Its been VERY cold here lately.

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I would just watch her.
    Make sure you keep the coop clean and dry in this nasty weather.
    Wash the waterer really good and everytime you fill it with fresh water make sur you add one table spoon apple cider vinigar.
    Vinigar will kill germs in the water and help from letting any germs from spreadng to the others.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  3. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Does it have to be apple cider or can it be regular vinegar .....sorry to butt in on you thread countryroad1330 .[​IMG]

4. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Good question! I would assume apple cider vinegar since regular white vinegar is only good for cleaning windows and appliances.

Anyone?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Raw unfiltered organic ACV with mother of vinegar, the sediment, is what has the benefits you want.

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Is that one Tbsp. per gallon? I have a small quart size waterer for my girls.

7. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Yes one table spoon per gallon.

It does not have to be exact it is not medication.

For the small one quart jars I add 1 teaspoon or one capful from the small jar of vinigar

8. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    We have very hard well water, and use white vinegar in the dishwasher's rinse cycle to prevent spotting.

Thanks for the tip Fluffnstuff! As soon as our freeze went away I got the Apple Cider Vinegar in everyone's water. And maybe its just ironic, but she has quit sneezing! I was wondering, is it ok to put that in their water all the time?

9. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Yes - I use it 80% of the time unless I am in a hurry.
    I also leave it out if for some reason I am putting something else in the wateres.
    V&E or a liquid wormer.

PS I am glad she stoped sneezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by