1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken sneezing ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kinsey228, Nov 27, 2011.

1. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    A couple of my chickens are sneezing, and I don't know if I should be worried. Their coop stays between 55-65 degrees, so I don't think they are getting too cold. Any ideas ?

2. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i think ive got the same problem. my birds are sneezing but other than that they seem fine.[​IMG]

3. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Its either your bedding is too dusty or they got dirt in their nose from a dust bath (usually the case), a respiratory infection from the rain or a high moisture area or an allergy. The infection can be treated with antibiotics but with a very cleanly kept coop it will clear on it's own.

4. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:Thank you so much ! I keep their coop as clean as I possibly can. (And still have the chickens in it.) I will change to a less dusty bedding when I scrub their coop tomorrow.

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    How much are they sneezing? If it's only occasionally and there are no other symptoms, they this may be completely normal. My chickens sneeze occasionally as well, usually when they are scratching around in their run, which is sand, or dustbathing. Mine tend to sneeze more frequently when I throw a handful of scratch and they make a mad scramble to peck it all up before the others can. Also, how much ventilation do you have in their coop? Adequate ventilation can cut down considerably on the amount of dust in the coop.

6. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:They have good ventilation, and I usually hear them sneeze when I collect the eggs. Maybe it is because of their dustbathing.

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I often laugh at my girls, who all have dirt-filled nostrils from all of the scratching around in the dirt they do. It's most noticeable on my white leghorn. Sometimes I feel like sneezing myself when I look at them! Unless yours are sneezing frequently and are showing other respiratory symptoms, I seriously don't think you need to worry [​IMG]

8. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    OK, good. Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by