Chicken Socialization

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmdsparrow, May 13, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    How well do different breeds of chickens get along together? I'm planning on ordering about 6 chickens and am looking at the Easter Egger, Silkies and Buff Orpinton. Should I stick with one breed or mix and match? I know this isn't a game, but I am a real beginner at this. I appreciate all who respond.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Hey, welcome to BYC! Mixing and matching is totally fine. The don't know they're of different breeds. The challenge is in integrating older chickens into an existing flock, regardless of breed!

3. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    I agree with AdozenGirlz. Different breeds can mix with other. Oh and [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sometimes standard breds will pick on silkies because of the difference in size. Also silkies with heavy head feathering can have their vision obscured and become more vulnerable to attack. Someone always has to be on the bottom of the pecking order.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The other advice I was given my an experienced chicken keeping friend was to avoid singletons: only one chicken of a particular breed. He told me the singletons he's kept in the past seemed a bit lonely with no other birds like themselves to flock with.

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I got 4 silkies with my first batch of 14 mixed breeds and had no problem with them being picked on. They're not at the bottom of the pecking order either. That's been my experience.

7. TwilightMom

TwilightMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Livermore, California
    I have 6 different breeds of chickens, seven chickens. They all get a long well. The two buff orpingtons are the only pair I have. They do seem to stick together and co-boss the flock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by