Chicken sounded like it was talking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daddy_roo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    I recently had a dog (of mine) get in the chicken coop. My dog was able to pull most of the feathers out of one of my hens legs, so I put her in an old large rabbit cage I had and kept her in the coop while she recooperates. I was using an automatic waterer the first day. I looked at it the second day she was in there and realized that she had not harkly touched it. So I put a bowl of water down and she was able to drink. Problem solved (or so I thought) I went to the coop after work today and her water was turned upside down and the bowl was dry, which told me it had not just happened. So I used a nail to poke a small hole in the top of the bowl to wire it to the side wall. As I opened the door to fix her water she ran under my arm and out of the rabbit cage. I finished tieing her water to her cage and had to catch her again. As I caught her she started squaking and it sounded like she was "saying" "Nooo" "Nooo!" I got a chuckle out of it as I returned her to her cage. But as she was squaking my daughter heard her and came running thinking the dog was back in the coop. When she seen me grabbing a chicken She asked me what I was doing. I explained what I was doing and went on like nothing happened. Has anyone else heard anything of this nature before?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think I have heard that "NO NO" shrieking call a couple of times. It is usually after I catch one of the chickens who is not as used to being handled much.

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Sound like she does not like being away from her sister chickens. About once a week I find one of mine outside the run, pacing back & forth, trying to get back in. Today it was my egg layer, and she was very happy to be caught and back with her sisters. But we have these little conversations as I am holding them for their daily cuddle. I will ask how they liked the treat I brought them that day, and I get a low throaty bock bock, and they will turn their head & look at me (they do not try to poke our eyes anymore either). But they will fight for lap time, and fuss if they can't get up. All I have to do is pat my legs with my hands and two of my BR come over & then 2 of the BO will come over.

4. daddy_roo

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    These chickens are not used to being handled at all. As I have said in other posts these chickens are accually my MIL. She cant catch them to handle them, So they are almost wild. I can get in there with them to gather eggs or feed them and they are not wild at me. But as soon as I try to catch one they go nuts trying to get away. All of them but 1. She dont fight it< shes more or less like ok lets get this over with.

5. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Mine did that when she'd decided to roost in a tree rather than her coop one night, she was so high I had to grab her from below and she flipped out! Flapping, wriggling "nOOOoo NOOoooo!!!" Normally she's happy to be handled but not when she's not expecting it!

Luckily she's a D'uccle so tiny and I got her under control and calm quickly!

6. daddy_roo

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    These are Black Sex Links and they are starting to get the point of when Im there at differant times what is going to happen. Like am getting ready now to go feed them and I can hear them down there clucking and the 2 Roosters making their wierd noise they make. I think its their version of crowing. Then about 4 this evening I walk down there with their treats. They know the scoop I use for this and get all kinds of excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by