Chicken sounds and chicken cross dressers

hardchines

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Hello I have 6 Rhode Island Reds (all pullets) , today when I let them out of the coop one of them made a loud sound (sorta rooster like), is one of my females a male? Do female chickens ever make a loud noise, they are 9 weeks old and this is the first time I have heard any loud noises, just peepers normally.

Last week I saw two of the chickens get up in each others face just for a second, sorta stood up on their hind legs, chest out (if they had them) and said get out of my way! Do hens do that or do I have two roosters posing as hens (cross dressers)?
smile.png

Also found that one of my birds appears to have a broken leg, I have read about splinting the leg and plan to do this tonight, I hate to see my young chick die so young, I have no idea how it broke its leg. Called a Vet., 72.00 to walk in the door with the chicken so will try home medicine for now.

Could be that there not all pullets....... welcome to my world I origionally had 15 "pullets" guess what wrong 6 were roos down to one now. My first clue that they were roos were the bigger gobblers and crowns as my 6 year old calls them and they started really changing colors differant than the others of the same breed and than the rounded tail feathers. And yes some of my other hens make a loud squawks and yes they all get up into each others faces they are establishing the pecking order seeing who is #1 and so on. Mine range from 13 to 15 weeks and I see differant things every day chickens are funny animals. As for the broken leg I dont know Ill bump that one to someone else
sad.png
good luck....
smile.png

Last edited:
I have 3 RIR and 3 Ameraucanas about the same age. They are always chasing eachother aroud and establishing pecking order by puffing up their chests and staring eachother down. They also make some interesting noises, like they are having a conversation (love to know what they are saying!
smile.png
) I find that they usually let out a loud squawk (may be the same noise you hear) when someone is coming or there is some loud noise in the background.
I've also noticed they've been "purring" while roosting or laying in the dirt.

Not sure about the broken leg other than I know mine jump a lot, in fact, one jumped almost 6 feet high two days ago! perhaps she came down hard, or fell off her roost at night.

We have 5 BO's, and I think one may be a Roo. They are almost 8 weeks old. I too have noticed this chest bumping, ruffling of the feathers to each other. Its quite funny actually, remind me of football players. LOL

And its most of them that do it...not just singling out my possible Roo.

I also just noticed today this very low "purrrrrrr" sound they are doing. We were outside letting the forage in the yard. And they started doing it, but I also heard a loud bird above, and they got really quiet, and were listening. I thought it was maybe an alarm sound. But then when all the girls were put in their enclosure in my garage, I heard them again do this "purrrrrr" type sounds. Was very soothing actually. Wish I knew what it meant :)

Goodluck on the leg, I have no answers for you there, I am a noobie chicken owner myself :DD

Back
Top Bottom