Chicken sounds like it has allergies!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lilytoes, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Lilytoes

Lilytoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Milford
    It started two days ago. He has the runs and now he sneezing and seems like he has a cough. What do I need to get for him. I don't feel that I have much time. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I am struggling with the same thing, sulmet isn't working.

My hens are having a hard time breathing and i don't know what to do?

3. Lilytoes

Aug 27, 2009
    Milford
    i HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SULMET IS!

4. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    CHILL!!!
    it's a medicine that you can buy at most feed stores.

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    You should probably run a search here for CRD, Chronic Respiratory Disease. There are a few different ones, and some different meds you can try. Can get it to clear up, but typically they will be carriers for life, which means all birds in your flock will get it. Also means you should have a closed flock. No birds out. All new birds will eventually get sick.

I have the same issue. I've had to dose 3 of my birds with Tylan50, 1cc day one, 1/2cc for 2 more days after that. 2 of my birds responded, but one is still kind of sickly. They don't always make it, no matter what you do. Do some research. Tylan50 should be available at Tractor Supply or a local feed/farm store.

6. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I'm a glass half full kinda girl, so I'm going to tell my experience. Around early last year, I noticed a strange sound coming from one of my year old GLW. Two days later, I had 3 more birds honking!! I finally figured out they were coughing. I was so scared. Read all the links, and thought I would loose my flock and never get new girls....on and on. So, I took one of the GLWs to a vet. Cost me 80.00 dollars. The vet was just as depressing. Told me to put my flock on Duramycin, directions on the back of the bag, and said I would probably loose my flock to respiratory disease. I was totally bummed. Went to my local hatchery, which is Estes Hatchery to get the meds. Estes was so supportive. They said, chickens get respiratory disease but it isn't always a death threat, to treat my birds and all would be well. They were absolutely right. I did not lose a single bird. One day after starting treatment, no one was coughing. That was a little over a year ago. I have added new girls since and no one has gotten sick. So, the moral of this story, is chin up. It may be just fine. We post our experiences which are bad often, and that is good to know what may happen, but sometimes, we need to post the happenings that aren't all bad, like my experience. Keep up the hardwork, it may work out just fine in the end.

7. Lilytoes

Aug 27, 2009
    Milford
    Thanks everyone, all the stores are closed but I'll be talking to tractor supply tomorrow. I let every body know how it goes. Thanks again.[​IMG]

8. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Ok so I have a RIR hen who seemed fine until today she looked like this:

This is the bad side (her right)
    [​IMG]

This one isnt as bad but still kinda yuck (her left)
    [​IMG]

The skin around the eye looks a little swollen to me. There is no discharge from the eyes or nose but when I picked her up at each breath there is a croopy noise... like mucus in the lungs. I dont hear her coughing. Those are the only two symptoms... Could this be allergies? We did have all those fires down here in Texas. And there was also a quick weather change from +109 degrees for a month or so down to lower 90s during the day...

I also have silkies that sound normal but they DO have discharge from the nose. But their eyes look fine. They are keep in a coop and do not get to interact with the other chickens unless the other chickens get near their coop. Speaking of the other chickens they all look fine. Although HER Roo did sound like his crow was a little strained but no discharge, no eye puffiness and I dont think he had that breath thing going on but he wouldnt let me catch him. Im so confused! I hope I didnt confuse anyone else here!

The question (If I seemed scatterbrained and long winded) was does this sound/look like allergies in her? Could their be a respiratory infection going around? Should I med to be safe? Etc!

9. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    Infectious Coryza
    Synonyms: roup, cold, coryza

Species affected: chickens, pheasants, and guinea fowl. Common in game chicken flocks.

Clinical signs: Swelling around the face, foul smelling, thick, sticky discharge from the nostrils and eyes, labored breathing, and rales (rattles -- an abnormal breathing sound) are common clinical signs. The eyelids are irritated and may stick together. The birds may have diarrhea and growing birds may become stunted (see Table 1 ).

Mortality from coryza is usually low, but infections can decrease egg production and increase the incidence and/or severity of other diseases. Mortality can be as high as 50 percent, but is usually no more than 20 percent. The clinical disease can last from a few days to 2-3 months, depending on the virulence of the pathogen and the existence of other infections such as mycoplasmosis.

Transmission: Coryza is primarily transmitted by direct bird-to-bird contact. This can be from infected birds brought into the flock as well as from birds which recover from the disease which remain carriers of the organism and may shed intermittently throughout their lives.. Birds risk exposure at poultry shows, bird swaps, and live-bird sales. Inapparent infected adult birds added into a flock are a common source for outbreaks. Within a flock, inhalation of airborne respiratory droplets, and contamination of feed and/or water are common modes of spread.

Treatment: Water soluble antibiotics or antibacterials can be used. Sulfadimethoxine (Albon[​IMG], Di-Methox™) is the preferred treatment. If it is not available, or not effective, sulfamethazine (Sulfa-Max[​IMG], SulfaSure™), erythromycin (gallimycin[​IMG]), or tetracycline (Aureomycin[​IMG]) can be used as alternative treatments. Sulfa drugs are not FDA approved for pullets older than 14 weeks of age or for commercial layer hens. While antibiotics can be effective in reducing clinical disease, they do not eliminate carrier birds.

Prevention: Good management and sanitation are the best ways to avoid infectious coryza. Most outbreaks occur as a result of mixing flocks. All replacement birds on "coryza-endemic" farms should be vaccinated. The vaccine (Coryza-Vac) is administered subcutaneously (under the skin) on the back of the neck. Each chicken should be vaccinated four times, starting at 5 weeks of age with at least 4 weeks between injections. Vaccinate again at 10 months of age and twice yearly thereafter.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    No such thing as Allergies in chickens but the other poster's have the correct diagnosis and treatment. good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by