1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken sounds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hardchines, Jun 21, 2011.

1. hardchines

hardchines New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Hello I have 6 Rhode Island Reds (all pullets) , today when I let them out of the coop one of them made a loud sound (sorta rooster like), is one of my females a male? Do female chickens ever make a loud noise, they are 9 weeks old and this is the first time I have heard any loud noises, just peepers normally.

Last week I saw two of the chickens get up in each others face just for a second, sorta stood up on their hind legs, chest out (if they had them) and said get out of my way! Do hens do that or do I have two roosters posing as hens?[​IMG]

Also found that one of my birds appears to have a broken leg, I have read about splinting the leg and plan to do this tonight, I hate to see my young chick die so young, I have no idea how it broke its leg. Called a Vet., 72.00 to walk in the door with the chicken so will try home medicine for now.

Sorry could not figure out how to make a new post in the index. I wanted this in the index under new post.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I think you posted in wrong section but I will answer your question. My hens before they lay really have a loud squacking sound but a crow is unmistakable for a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by