1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken sounds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Suess hens, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Wasn't sure where to post this one, but I have an odd question. Does anyone know what bird makes the same chirpy-like noise as that of a 5-6 week old chick? We had some chickens escape last week and the only way we knew was the sounds of the babies in the bushes hiding from the dogs. But now we have some other bird that makes that same noise in the front yard. I go out, nothing, all birds become quiet. I do notice that the bird in question must be being attacked or bothered by a mockingbird because the two come together. I always go count heads in the chicken yard when I hear it, and they are always all their (I think my chickens think I'm nuts because I go out and ask if they are okay about 4 times a day). Does anyone know what I might have in my front yard?

2. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    HI Erin, i would bet the farm that what you have is a mockingbird, they are the only wild bird that i'm aware of that can immitate yer chicks so well.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Maybe the mockingbirds are doing what they do best "mocking". I will try and find out. Now I am curious about the bird in question. I followed a sound of crying kittens forever. At the end it was a catbird. The sound is just like a distress kitten. I will never forget that. I smile everytime I hear a catbird. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by