Chicken spazzing when we took egg this morning....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oceanseve, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Does this mean she is trying to brood? She finally came off winter hiatus yesterday. Hubby took today's egg within a minute or two of her laying it (still toasty warm) and she went berserck. Very loud clucking noises, pacing the run. Not happy one bit. We gave her scratch and after pecking that for a bit went right back to it. I finally put the egg back and shut her in the coop. I can't let her make noises like that.... What am I supposed to do? Should I be able to take the eggs at night after she goes to sleep or is this going to be the new routine? She didn't do anything like this last year. I've grown attached to this one, but if she is going to insist on making so much noise I will have to eat her.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    LOL for the closing sentence. I had a couple Wyandottes lose their minds last year after a 'friend' came to care for them while I was on vacation and had the nerve to pull eggs while they were still on the nest. After that, they screamed every day. I did end up culling them because they lost their minds and I live in the city. I had attributed it to the breed but I also thought the guys pushy handling factored in there.

All you can do is collect later in the day and see if she doesn't quit BUT some chickens lay and do the cackle thing whether someone is there or not and others lay and remain quiet. It could be a protest OR it could become habit.

One thing I learned, I NEVER disturb my girls while they are in their boxes! I don't want to go through that ever again. I also went to the chicken chart and bought all chickens known to be docile when I replaced the culled ones. You can also check the charts and buy chickens known to be quiet and docile.

3. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Either pick them up when they are scratching around or at night but she'll soon forget about getting mad. But if she is still setting after dark put her on the roost or in a cage-don't let her become broody or no eggs for you!

4. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    hubby forgot to take it last night, so i gave her some strawberries this morning and took the egg while she was eating. It was cold so I'm guessing she's not sitting, just upset at my husband for stealing her newly laid egg yesterday. Haven't heard a peep yet so, hopefully it was an isolated incident.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by