chicken species inspection and identification

victorb17

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 15, 2013
I was talking to someone a while back about their hens. They showed me where someone (the state I guess) had taken blood samples and verified their species and placed bands around their legs if they were full blooded. I can't remember where they said you get this done. I think they came to their house to get the blood sample.

Has anyone heard of this? Who do I call? Thanks, Victor.

The band indicates that the bird was tested for Pullorum and Typhoid. This is generally a requirement for showing and for getting your flock certified for NPIP (National Poultry Improvement Program).

It doesn't have anything to do with identification of the species/breed.

I could be wrong, but I know the lady told me that she had someone test her birds and the band was identifying that they are pure bred.

Maybe she meant that they had been tested and proven pure bred and I just took it wrong. We purchased some of the black copper marans from her. They are the cottage hill blood line supposedly. The parents had the bands showing proof, and she said that the chicks were too young to be tested and that I could get them tested later, but I can't get in touch with her to find out where she had this done.

Dheltzel is correct, the bands are there to prove they were state tested for one or more poultry diseases. A bird needs to be at least 4 months old to test, which is why your chicks have not been done yet.

There is no test out there to prove a chicken is purebred.

Back
Top Bottom