Chicken Spooked

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GosoChooks, Jan 14, 2015.

1. GosoChooks

GosoChooks New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    I have four chickens, they live in our backyard which backs onto the bush. We had a fox attack them in broad day light!! fortunately we have saved three of the chooks. Two of them hid in the coop, the other two flew into the backyard. We found one of them near our drive way (it was hiding deep in a bush not moving, just looking in one direction) and the other one cannot be found[​IMG]. Is there anything that can be done??

Please help!!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear about your fox attack :hugs I know personally how distressing this can be. My advice to you now would be to have a secure enclosed run for your chickens and only free range under supervision. The fox will more than likely return as it now knows the chickens are there. Drop by the predator section of the forum here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

I'm sure the members there will have lots more advice for you. Hope you enjoy BYC :frow

2 people like this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Once predators get an easy meal they will keep coming back until they've gotten them all. Chickens really need to be in a fort knox of a coop and run. No flimsy chicken wire, but 1/2" hardware cloth instead. A covered run so nothing can drop in or climb the fence. Wire skirt around the perimeter of the run, to prevent diggers. Birds shut up at dusk in a secure coop, not allowed to roost in trees. You may even want to try a few strands of electrified wire at various heights on the outside of your fence.

1 person likes this.
  4. GosoChooks

GosoChooks New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    Thankyou[​IMG]
    We will definetly keep them in a coop until we get them fully secured and safe!

5. GosoChooks

GosoChooks New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    Thankyou for the link it is great!! We are definitely keeping them in a coop until fully secured[​IMG]

6. GosoChooks

GosoChooks New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    Awesome thanks for the help!!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry about the attack! I agree with the other posters, you should keep them in a secure run instead of free-ranging.

8. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about the fox attack. [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member