Chicken Squash Trellis

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by darkmatter, Aug 18, 2011.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

I plant tomatoes and squash in cages which grow up into a trellis providing food and shade for the chickens.

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    That is great! How did you get the plants to stay growing up? I would love to do that for the shade.

3. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Great idea. I'll have to try it next year.[​IMG]

4. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    That's really neat! I was thinking of planting peas and sunflowers along the fence in my run next year.

5. Horizon Structures

Horizon Structures Official BYC Sponsor

Jul 1, 2009
    Atglen, PA
    I Absolutely Love It!!!!
    Jenifer

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  6. Arookar

Arookar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Eureka, CA
    I planted sunflowers and beans along the fence of my run, but your idea is wonderful! I think I will try something like that next year- I could grow it right inside the run if it was in cages....what a great idea! [​IMG]

7. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Love my Critters! :

That is great! How did you get the plants to stay growing up? I would love to do that for the shade.

I'm not the OP, but I think what you would do is create the base of the trellis/shade out of wire, then train the vines to go up instead of along the ground. The plants take care of the rest. [​IMG]

My question is: how do you keep the chickens from eating everything??​

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I'm not the OP, but I think what you would do is create the base of the trellis/shade out of wire, then train the vines to go up instead of along the ground. The plants take care of the rest. [​IMG]

My question is: how do you keep the chickens from eating everything??

This trellis is a three tire set up. I cut the sidewall out of one side of my old truck tires, place the cutout side down, fill with compost. I make a cage out of concrete remesh that fits the diameter of the tire, remesh also connects the tops of the cylinders to make the trellis. After I reach in thru the 6" remesh to plant my stuff, I wrap the wire cylinder with a finer mesh to keep the chickens out. The vines and tomatoes don't need trained up the cage. The vines grow up and spread out over the trellis without help. The chickens "prune" anything that sticks out of the cage or hangs down off the trellis far enough. If you look at the picture you can see some squash hanging down from the trellis grid. I'm getting more squash out of the chicken run setup then I do out of my garden plantings. I've never seen bugs make it pass the chicken patrol to bother the squash vines in the Run.

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Great idea...I was going to plant sunflowers for the girls next summer...I may do this as well! Thanks for sharing!!

10. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    What a fantastic idea! We have wild grape vines all over our property.....everywhere I don't want it! Now for next year, a few are going to get moved over near the run! It will be great shade AND the girls love eating their leaves! Thank you for the idea! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by