Chicken standing inside with eyes closed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jonessarah3211, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Jonessarah3211

Jonessarah3211 Hatching

Apr 18, 2019
    Hi All,
    One of my flock members is an ex batt hen, we’ve had her about a year and 2 weeks ago she suddenly wasn’t coming outside anymore, not eating etc. I took her to the vet who gave us some antibiotics, she was on those for 5days and was much better for a few days after she finished the course of antibiotics, but suddenly after a few days of no problems, she’s standing inside with her eyes closed, showing little interest in food or water. She stayed in her nesting box for hours this morning until I lifted her out to join the others where she had a bit of water. She hasn’t laid in about a month now, we presumed due to feeling up before the antibiotics but I’ve checked her abdomen and I can’t feel an egg? I’m not sure what it could be/ what to do about her..
    any advice is much appreciated!

2. Ms Clucky

Ms Clucky Songster

Jan 22, 2019
    Salem, Illinois
    Did the vet check inside her mouth? Maybe canker sore inside? One of roosters had them and he kind of did the same thing. Wouldn't eat or drink unless I forced it down him and all he wanted to do was cuddle on me and sleep.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    What antibiotic did the vet give you and what did he say it was for?

Is her belly full, kinda hard and swollen?

4. Jonessarah3211

Jonessarah3211 Hatching

Apr 18, 2019
    Hi thank you for replying! It was a locumvet who wasn’t really well versed in chickens but he couldn’t see any obvious signs of why she’s be ill discharge, trapped egg etc so he said to give her the antibiotics as a precaution and see how she is after the course. I can’t remember what the name was but it was a pink tablet I crushed up in water and gave to her. I felt her abdomen today and it feels slightly firmer than I’d expect, compared to the others.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  5. Jonessarah3211

Jonessarah3211 Hatching

Apr 18, 2019
    I think he did yes, but couldn’t find anything. I’m just worried because she’s been fine for a few days eating and drinking etc, they’re free range so could she have eaten something off? They eat slugs/ worms quite often?

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I am not sure what the pink pill could have been...it may not have been a good enough antibiotic.
    The first thing that came to my mind when Reading your post
    Was internal laying. Are you familiar with what internal laying is?

It may not be that but...

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Have you ever dewormed your birds?

8. Ms Clucky

Ms Clucky Songster

Jan 22, 2019
    Salem, Illinois
    She might have eaten a leech. It might be inside her sucking her dry. When I see them things I smash them to bits.

9. Tycine1

Tycine1 Songster

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    The antibiotics might have killed off the good bacteria in her gut; try mixing a bit of yogurt in her normal feed to eliminate that as a possible problem (won't hurt her, could help); no 'treats' until you get her back to eating right. Is she drinking? What's her crop feel like at night? What's it feel like in the morning before she's had food or water? (Looking for a full crop at night, and an empty crop in the morning). What's her poop like (color, consistency). When was she last wormed? Have you examined her for lice and mites?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: