Chicken standing up like a Penguin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rEGGae chick, Jan 8, 2011.

1. rEGGae chick

rEGGae chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    Norwood, Colorado
    So I went out this morning to find one of my New Hampshire Reds standing up like a penguin. She did try to eat. When I picked her up it felt squishy but swollen in her abdomen. Her vent is clear but it was a little messy. I started with 15 chicks last year and this is their second year. It's my first time ever having chickens, and even though I live in an area where there are lots of people that have chickens the vet doesn't see chickens. Any ideas of what might be going on. Do I leave her in with the rest of the coop. They have an 8x8 shed and it's heated with a heat lamp. It's closed up at night also.
    Help![​IMG]

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Sounds like egg bound or internal laying. Do a search at the top right and good luck.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So she's 2 yrs old? does she lay? sounds like an egg problem. Try soaking her in warm water for about 30 min. then drying her and putting her in a quiet place on a heating pad on low with towels wrapped around the heating pad, check on her every 3omin and see hows shes doing, you'll probably have to soak her more than once, chickens like a good soak so she'll probably relax and thats what you want her to do, so she'll pass the egg. Please keep us updated!!

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you separate her for more than a few hours to treat her, she is in danger of their not recognizing her, which means she will then be at the bottom of the pecking order.

There are links to good threads about eggbound and internal layers on the FAQ page.

5. rEGGae chick

Oct 29, 2009
    Norwood, Colorado
    I saw the warm soak. They had their first molt this fall so she's not even 2. I think this is the one that normally has thin shells. If it did break inside, what happens? I'm afraid to do the warm soak, as I live outside of Telluride at 7,000 ft and it's so cold this time of year. I don't really have anywhere inside I could keep her other than than the coop. I may have to get creative. I have had such good luck so far.....

Thanks for the help.

6. rEGGae chick

Oct 29, 2009
    Norwood, Colorado
    So I put the hen in a box, which is all I had. I have crates but I'm using all of them right now as I'm babysitting my daughter's dog. So I put a heating pad on low and put some shavings over it. A little straw and offered her water and some food. She has eaten a little, yogurt and oatmeal, and some crumbles. She drank lots of water which was a good sign also. Her eyes are bright and her cone which was turning dark red or almost purple at the top is now all red. She doesn't make much noise and seems comfortable. She's inside in my extra bathroom. I closed the heat duc as I think it would be too warm for her, but the temps are going to be around 60 anyway. I put a towel on my lap and got some ky and stuck my finger in to see if I could find any blockage. Noting, then I massaged her swollen abdomen and still nothing. I tried as far as possible to find anything. She finally pooped a little watery but normal looking poop. Good thing I had the towel. So doing an examination not my cup of tea, but not knowing what is causing her to be swollen or standing up like that is, I felt it necessary. She will sit down once I leave her alone. She does sit in the corner, but her bum is on the heating pad that is on low.
    Any suggestions, what this might be. Could an egg still be in there somewhere? I really massaged and felt around and found nothing.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  7. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    Maybe she's not sick or anything, but just saw a Hawk etc. Please fill out the form at the top of this section so we can help

8. rEGGae chick

Oct 29, 2009
    Norwood, Colorado
    What form? She's definately not fine. She's standing up like penguin and in the corner of the coop.

9. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    Ayeyaya..... Nobody reads the sticky anymore:
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or cond

10. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    Ayeyaya..... Nobody reads the sticky anymore:
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by