1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken staying in nest box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mr Potatoes, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Mr Potatoes

Mr Potatoes Just Hatched

Sep 25, 2016
    Hello, everyone!
    I have a 7 month old hen who, for whatever reason, won't leave the nest box. I eventually had to lift her out (there weren't any eggs that she was sitting on) and bring her over the the waterer/feeder. She seemed fine, with no visible markings/scars/spit/etc.
    Anyone have any input?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might be broody, and they don't always need an egg to sit on. They tend to gaze off into space like in a trance when broody, and when you remove them, they will usually run back to their nest box clucking, with their tail held in an inverted V shape. Check her over though for illness, by feeling of her crop for being full and hard or puffy and not emptying overnight. Check for lice or mites near her vent or elsewhere on her skin. You can insert a finger inside her vent an inch or two for a stuck egg. Make sure that she gets out to eat and drink, since broodies will only get off the nest once or twice a day. If it is winter where you live, and she is broody, you will need to try and break her, since hatching eggs in winter is not a good idea.

3. Mr Potatoes

Mr Potatoes Just Hatched

Sep 25, 2016
    Ok! Yeah, it is getting colder around here, with temps. almost reaching 20 degrees Fahrenheit overnight. I'll check for mites and lice, and do you have any advice for how to get her to stop being broody?

Thanks again!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A covered dog pen with a homemade roost and dirt or grass floor is what I use. I place a friend there for company, and feed them some chopped eggs with a bit of yogurt plus their usual feed each day. Having a little scratch once in awhile keeps them scratching around. They seem to break in a bout 5 days that way. I have used a cage, but it may take a couple of attempts. The main thing is to prevent them from nesting to cool their bottoms off, and the roost helps at night.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    An elevated wire cage works every time to break my broodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by