1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken stays in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MikeTheGardener, Jun 15, 2016.

1. MikeTheGardener

MikeTheGardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    I have a hen that sits in the coop all day, then when the other girls lay eggs she immediately sits on them. Even though we remove the eggs as quickly as possible she waits in there until another one comes along. We have dealt with broodiness in the past, but this takes the cake. Ideas?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How have you dealt with a broody? You should probably break her by putting her in a wire bottom cage elevated off the ground a bit for about 3-5 days, provide food and water. Though sometimes just relocating them is enough for some.

3. MikeTheGardener

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    I have done that in the past and it seemed to work before but now, not so much. Same chicken by the way.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some are more stubborn than others, I have one that will sit tight anywhere. They need to cool off, so if they are sitting tight it might take longer. I've also penned them directly on concrete to break them. Some are just so determined, maybe you need to hatch some eggs.[​IMG]

5. MikeTheGardener

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    Interesting. Never though of hatching some eggs

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You will need a Rooster to get the chicks too hatch out of those eggs.
    I had a hen last year that did the same thing. loved the eggs of all the other hens.
    I just kept collecting the eggs and sending her out everyday. Does not always mean she is broody.

7. brenda56

brenda56 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    1 of My hen gets broody and last couple of days she just will not move off the nest I'm sure there are eggs there she's getting quite cross when I try to move her but today I will have to get her outside for something to eat and drink she's pecking at me when I try to move her do I just force her out please

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Put on gloves if you don't want to be pecked and pick her up and put her outside. You won't hurt her. If she's broody she will probably be a bit crabby about it though.

1 person likes this.
  9. brenda56

brenda56 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    1 of mine has been broody last couple of days I forced her out and let her have run of the garden while the other 2 were left in coop until thy laid

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she staying on nest all night too?
    Has she stopped laying (if you can tell)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by