Chicken steals food from other hen

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DarleneE, Feb 23, 2014.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    My Ameraucana hen takes food away from my Barred Rock hen. For eg I gave them some lettuce and she'd throw down whatever pieces I gave her and instead just chase the Barred Rock and take away hers. Is this normal with chickens? They're only 7 weeks old and I'm a new chicken owner.

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's completely normal. Each chicken always wants what the other one has. I spread treats out so that everyone has a fair chance at some, but they still chase each other around for what they think is the better goodie.

1 person likes this.
  3. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Oh thank you! I was kinda worried! Thanks so much!

4. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm happy that I could help. When they are bigger and can run around outside, one will find a bug and the rest will be in hot pursuit for it. We call it chicken keep away. [​IMG]

5. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    That's just hilarious! At what age do you suggest letting them run around in the yard? My husband's building their coop. We're putting it in our screen porch though instead of the yard to be safer against predators and away from the elements. However I'm worried about how I'm gonna catch them once I let them out!!?? lol

6. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    As soon as they are fully feathered they can be out in nice weather. I start them in a "playpen" of chicken wire until they get used to following me. I teach them to follow by giving them treats by hand. Mine follow me everywhere if they are out. We look marvelous all walking to the mailbox and back according to my neighbor. [​IMG]

7. ChaoticCritters

ChaoticCritters Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    I know whenever something "good" has been found because I'll see one chicken being hotly pursued by the other 19. Anything from a grasshopper to a live mouse. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    That's so cute!! I bet it looks real cute!! I'd love to see that!! What type treats do you give them?? I just tried giving mine some lettuce, cheese and yogurt but all they would seem to go for was the lettuce and the Barred Rock hen, Daisy was the one coming to me to get it!! Then Olivia, my Ameraucana would steal it!! Heeeeheeeeee. Are they maybe too young still to know about eating treats?? They seem to just eat their feed well??!! I'm gonna look for some mill worms for them tomorrow or else some crickets.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  9. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    And rarely does the chicken that found it get to eat it. [​IMG]

10. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by