Chicken Stew

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cravenchx, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    It's been a long time since fixing chicken stew in a big black pot. 8 gallons.
    How much chicken, milk, broth etc. do you experts recommend. This is the country chicken
    stew.... no potatoes, carrots, noodles. The stand around the fire, listen to some good bluegrass chicken stew.
    Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Sorry I can't help you out - my chicken stew has onions and carrots. No potatoes though. We have it over Cheddar & Chive bisquits.

3. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Interesting! Sounds good. Are you south of the Mason/Dixon line?

4. wyoDreamer

Nov 10, 2010
    Nope, way north of there. [​IMG]
    I'm originally from northern Wisconsin, up there by Green Bay. I have been in Wyoming for about 6 years.

The recipe has hot sauce in it, so it was probably a southern recipe to start with. Hot sauce isn't a typical northern WI ingredient.
    I found the recipe in a magazine and it instantly became one of our favorites. I take it as meal for hunting season and my dad just loves it. Its lighter than beef stew, so it makes a great lunch before going back out to hunt all evening.

I'll get the recipe for you tonight. Now I'm hungry for chicken stew and since it is only forcast to get up to 59 degrees today, it will make a great supper.
    I cheat on the biscuits - I use boxed mix and just add shredded cheddar, a tablesppon of chives and a 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic.

5. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Don't forget the butter on the biscuits!

6. wyoDreamer

Nov 10, 2010
    Here is my recipe

Chicken Stew

1 lb chicken - boneless skinless is what I use
    3 carrots - chopped
    3 cloves of garlic - chopped
    4 cups of chicken stock
    2 tablespoons of parsely
    1 tsp of celery salt (or 3 ribs of celery - I don't like cooked celery)
    2 bay leaves
    2 tablespoons of Franks RedHot or tabasco

Simmer for 1 hour. Thicken and serve over biscuits. We make baking powder biscuits,but we add 2 tablespoons of dried chives with the flour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by