Chicken still gasping/gurgling sounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueJaye, Dec 9, 2013.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    My little pullet has been through a round of Tylan-50, and a round of Duramycin-10, and still seems to be gasping for air, and making gurlging sounds once in a while (I believe it's when she breaths through her nose). She still has black around her nostrils (I think it's dried snot). Otherwise, her eyes are bright, she's eating and drinking great. Seems to be in great spirits.

Is there something more I can do for her? Or is this just the remnants of an upper respiratory infection?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did she ever have a bad smell to her face before you started drugs, that could be a sign of coryza? Another thought is that she could have underlying coccidiosis or worms that have prevented her intestines from absorbing the antibiotics. That is just an idea, as I am not a vet. A drug called sulfadimethoxine or (Di-Methox , Albon, or SulfamedG) would treat both coccidiosis and coryza if you suspect it. Sulmet or SMZ-TMP would also treat those. I would also consider treating for worms with Safeguard horse paste 1 pea sized amount or Safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/2 ml/cc for worms, and repeat in 10 days. Make sure there is no mold in the coop or anywhere she ranges, since aspergillosis can cause gasping. It is a fungus infection coming from mold in food, litter, or virtually everywhere chckens go.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you do not suspect coryza, but want to treat for coccidiosis, Corid or amprollium is the best drug for that. It only treats for cocci though.

4. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    She never had a bad smell, and none of the other chickens are sick. She got better after the Duramycin treatment, does that indicate anything?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Duramycin10 can be given at a dose of 800mg per day--that is 1 TB per gallon for up to 7-14 days. The lower dose that some use is 400mg or 1/2 TB per gallon. So if she got better on the Duramycin, then you could try another round of the maximum dose. I would worm her though with something that gets more than roundworm. It is possible also that she has a virus, and the antibiotic won't cure viruses, but will only help prevent secondary infections. Any sick chicken will respond better to meds without worms. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by