Chicken Stimulation (ideas anyone??)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickencoop789, Jan 20, 2014.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    How can I make my boring yard more fun and exciting for my hens?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Make sure they have plenty of dirt to scratch around in, plants to eat, room to roam and bugs to chase. Can you make a mulch pile out of raked leaves? They'd love to dig and scratch in that for extra protein. I don't believe that chickens really need to be "entertained" as long as they can do all those things.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    A mulch pile is a great idea. Chickens LOVE scratching in things and if you can mix something edible in there, even better. You can also toss a cabbage in there now and then for them to eat. What you can also do, for a bit of fun in the warmer months (for you and the chickens!), is leave one or two corrugated sink sheets flat on the ground in the run. I left it undisturbed for at least 3-4 weeks to give the crickets time to discover it... Every 4 weeks or so I called the chickens and flipped the sheets over. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Chickens are good at entertaining themselves (not always in ways you approve of! ;) but if they are confined in a boring fun...well, they can get bored and possibly pick at each other. I've done the same things sumi talks about above, but I used concrete pieces instead if corrugated sheets. I call them 'renewable cricket farms'! Mowed grass, garden clippings and mulch all go into the run and there are slanted logs for them to climb on.

5. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Hang a cabbage about 12"-16" off the ground

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by