1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken stinks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Danka, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Danka

Danka New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    My chicken stinks, like she has an infection.....nothing external can be seen.......she ate a dead mouse a while back and seems like she has had problems since then....now she smells.....would this give her an internal type of infection?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Rodents can carry certain diseases such as fowl cholera and salmonella. I would just watch her for symptoms, and perhaps treat her with some probiotics and vitamins in her water. Look for abnormal droppings, any respiratory issues, and make sure that she is eating and drinking well.

3. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Deworm her, mice carry lots of worms bad worms.

4. Danka

Danka New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    she is eating and drinking well, but it seems she has swelling in her chest area.....we have 7 chickens so how to give an antibiotic so the rest don't get it......do you use a dropper and put it in her beck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by