1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Anybody have the MOST flavorful stock recipe? I'd like to put up chicken stock for cooking with. Currently we mostly live off giant skillet suppers, and buying chicken stock laden with chemistry is starting to get depressing, especially when I keep reading HERE on BYC about old hens making good chicken stock/soup.

Whether I have an old hen, or a regular grocery store chicken, what's the best stock recipe to use them on? And is a troubling teenroo as good to make stock with, as an older hen?

What constitutes "older hen"? 3 years........8years.....?

would the exctra testosterone and cortisol in a biting teenroo make worse soup stock?

Thank you for suggestions and recipes!

2. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
  3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    6chickens in St. Charles :

Anybody have the MOST flavorful stock recipe? I'd like to put up chicken stock for cooking with. Currently we mostly live off giant skillet suppers, and buying chicken stock laden with chemistry is starting to get depressing, especially when I keep reading HERE on BYC about old hens making good chicken stock/soup.

Whether I have an old hen, or a regular grocery store chicken, what's the best stock recipe to use them on? And is a troubling teenroo as good to make stock with, as an older hen?

What constitutes "older hen"? 3 years........8years.....?

would the exctra testosterone and cortisol in a biting teenroo make worse soup stock?

Thank you for suggestions and recipes!

This person:

http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2010/04/12/basic-chicken-stock-and-asian-chicken-stock/

I got a LOT of fantastic recipes from her...she is amazing!​

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Thank You!!!!!

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i make mine kinda like frugal

starting the same, with the pieces he uses, but i like to add garlic and a ham hock or 2(for some smokeyness :E), bay leave, whole black peppercorns.

key is once you get it in the stockpot and filled with water, DO NOT STIR, do not TOUCH, DO NOT MOVE AT ALL, let it go AT LEAST 18 hours on a VERY VERY LOW simmer. comes out clear, not cloudy, and so good, all you gotta do is put it in a bowl and you got chicken soup

6. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    Or you can use your pressure canner. I cook mine at 15 psi for an hour or two. It concentrates the flavor wonderfully, and I don't care about slight cloudiness.

I like the scrawny roosters and whatever carcasses I have around. I roast them if they're not already cooked, to get some flavor. Then into the pressure cooker they go, with whatever comes off the bottom of the roasting pan. I save the necks and feet from when I butcher for stock too. I do clean the feet before I throw them in the freezer for the next batch! I quarter a couple of onions with as much skin as I can save, and chunk up some carrots. I've been known to use a whole head of garlic, and I like to throw in a couple of dried chili peppers too. Bay leaves and a small handful of black peppercorns round out my recipe.

I usually can it too, when I'm done. It's fantastic, and I really have a hard time if I have to use commercial stock.

7. chicken_chik

chicken_chik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Adding onto this original post (if that is ok!?)

What do you do with the stock?
    soup, boiling potatoes...what else can you do with it since it's so delicious?

8. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

You can use it for anything you use broth for.

I use it in cooking rice, making gravy, as a soup base, cooking my peas in it....the possibilities are endless!!

9. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Quote:Of course, adding to the original post is ok.........that is where all the fun happens.

I save all of my chicken bones, even the ones from the 5 dollar roasted chicken you get at wally world. I save my onion skins and carrot and celery trimmings. I put them all in a freezer bag clearly marked STOCK so maybe my husband can find it on the freezer door easily. When I have a full bag of goodness, I cover it with water and cook far about an hour on low. Strain and freeze in jars if not needed immediately.

YOu can cook it down until it is half or more gone. Pour into freezer icecube trays. When frozen put into a freezer bag and use in gravies, soup, and enjoy all that wonderful preservative free goodness.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  10. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    The older the bird, the richer the stock - and gender doesn't matter [​IMG]

Lots of good recipes posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by