chicken stole duck eggs??? will this cause problems?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Aug 10, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have a broody on day 15 and while she was off getting some grub i decided to quickly check on and candle a few eggs. to my suprise on closer inspection i see 2 out of the 11 eggs are duck eggs(!)

what sort of problems is this going to cause upon hatching, how much later will they hatch? will i need to take them off mama hen before/imediately after hatching or can they stay with her for a while? they are either mallard or muscovy (there the only ducks i have out there)

2. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I hope someone can help you. My DH wants ducks, but we don't have a pond yet. My brother spend 2 years in belguim. I LOVE LOVE stroop Waffles!

3. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Bump for you.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    bump?

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Do you have an incubator? Duck eggs generally take around 28 days to hatch. IMO she probably wont stay on them after "her" eggs hatch. You can monitor the situation, but I'd either remove the duck eggs or place them in an incubator when "her" eggs start to hatch.

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    You could put them in a Incubator or once the chicken eggs hatch bring them in the house and then give the hen a few more days with the duck eggs I just lost a hen that was broody for 2 months.

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i dont have an incubator..i have a heat lamp though?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by