Chicken stopped eating while ill. Back to heath but not laying..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmandaMae, Sep 18, 2016.

1. AmandaMae

AmandaMae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Hey all!

I posted on here a couple weeks ago about my Easter egger, Violet. She had eaten some grass clippings which became stuck in her. After a couple days to figure out the issue, (some warm baths,olive oil, ACV, yogurt (preventing sour crop as precaution) .. she only ate a bit of boiled egg and grit. Drank very small amount.) She finally passed the large (very compact, long clump of poop/grass. She began eating the next day on a regular basis and then passed another smaller clump thr next night. She's happy as can be again, eating, drinking...but she hasn't laid an egg since her 2nd day of being ill. She went about 3 1/2 days without food as far as I know. I've felt her abdomen for any eggs and nothing. I thought it may take a few days to get her nutrition back, out some weight back on and she'd be at it again. But its been roughly 2 weeks since last egg.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. I'm worried for her health and I miss her pretty blue eggs...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Stress or illness will cause interruption in laying, and I don't think there's an average time to restart - be patient and hope she does "fatten" up and hopefully start laying again.

But, i have a BO who was ill a year ago, she did totally recover but has never laid another egg ( or a least I don't think she has). But for my hen the reintegration took several months and was stressful to the both of us.

3. AmandaMae

AmandaMae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Thanks so much! Such a coincidence.. she laid this afternoon! What a relief.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Agreed

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    That's great news [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by