Chicken stopped laying eggs

Fullcoop

Hatching
Aug 21, 2017
I have 3 young chickens of different breeds (all 24 weeks old) and one started laying eggs 4 weeks ago, another 3 weeks ago, and one acts like she's going to soon. The one that started first is a Cuckoo Maran and she stopped laying a week ago, she stopped squatting, but still sings her egg song for the other chicken that's laying. When she was laying we would get shell less eggs at least once a week but we don't even have signs of those now. She had been fighting over the nesting box but they seemed to take turns eventually. She looks healthy and acts normal to me. Any idea what could be the issue?

Attachments

• 20170918_123013.jpg
    20170918_123013.jpg
    807.1 KB · Views: 8
Not an expert, but my personal experience is when I get weak or non-existent shells they need calcium! I throw a handful of oyster shells or some other product like that (see farm store or on-line) every couple of days and see a marked improvement. I also microwave used shells, crush them and feed them back to my girls. Another issue could be they are getting ready to go broody on you but that is unlikely given their age. Rooster or no it's a biological thing but typically it's older hens (3+ years). Some girls are fall brooders and some spring though. Good luck. Pretty bird btw.

Not an expert, but my personal experience is when I get weak or non-existent shells they need calcium! I throw a handful of oyster shells or some other product like that (see farm store or on-line) every couple of days and see a marked improvement. I also microwave used shells, crush them and feed them back to my girls. Another issue could be they are getting ready to go broody on you but that is unlikely given their age. Rooster or no it's a biological thing but typically it's older hens (3+ years). Some girls are fall brooders and some spring though. Good luck. Pretty bird btw.
Thanks. I leave oyster shell out all the time but I'll try eggshells too. Maybe she'd prefer them better. I'll keep an eye out on broodiness. She did like sitting on her eggs most of the day when she did lay so maybe that's part of the issue.

The shell issue is what I would research/focus on. As that is what struck me as 'not normal'. Get some golf balls and put a couple in each nest. If she is broody or thinking in that direction she'll pick a 'clutch' and do her fluff and growl routine when you try to move her. Golf balls also encourage them to use the nest boxes to lay and can go in the dishwasher for cleaning :)

Back
Top Bottom