Chicken stopped laying, is she molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lillypurrs23, Sep 12, 2011.

1. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    One of our chickens, stopped laying recently, and now she's losing feathers. Is she molting? This is our first time having chickens, so we don't really know. She just turned 1 last week, but she's the only one who seems to be losing feathers right now. It doesn't look like she's losing feathers (no bald spots or anything) but there are feathers all over the coop and yard and if she shakes or flap-runs, a couple feathers will fall.

2. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    sounds to me like she's moulting... although I am also new to this chicken stuff, I have read up on it alot and it seems that they first moult at about a year, of course there are exceptions, breed etc. which may be why your other girls are not. hopefully someone will be able to give you a little more insight.

This is a pretty good article:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/217/moulting-a-natural-process

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She is just at the right age to molt. They usually have their first full molt during their second autumn. So you're right! [​IMG]

4. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Not everyone molts at the same speed or the same time.

5. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Okay, thank you! Also, I was wondering, when they molt, when their new feathers grow in, could they be differently patterned? For example, this is the chicken that is molting.
    [​IMG]
    When she's done molting, is it possible that she could end up with a bunch of white on her new feathers? Or do they stay sort of the same?

6. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Howdy --

Our Speckled Sussex gets more speckled with each molt. And by the way, she is molting now, too!

7. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Hmm. If she gets more white, that will be weird. We're so used to her being a dark chicken! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by