Chicken stopped laying

dyerchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
I have a welsummer pullet that was laying 2 eggs a day until the weather cooled off now she has not layed for almost a week her behavior is normal, so I dont think she is egg bound. I am just concerned is there anything I should be concerned about or is it just the shortened days and change in weather. My black sex link is still laying everyday.

24 of my hens are about 1.5 yrs. old. Last year when they began laying, I could count on almost one egg per hen a day. This year I added 4 new hens (now 6 mos.) and I am only getting 12-14 eggs a day from 28 hens. This is not acceptable to me, as I still have to feed 28 I thought it might be just the new hens, but they have been together for a couple of months now. They never stopped laying over the winter, although eggs were few and far between during the coldest weeks. We do keep a heat lamp bulb in the hen house light during winter, and a fan during hot months. The fan moves the air around, but doesn't do much for cooling. Comments and advice welcome.

Back
Top Bottom