Chicken stopped producing eggs

Mp157

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
Hey guys. Just looking for some advice. One of my hens, a 7 month old cream legbar suddenly stopped producing eggs about a week and a half ago. Her temperament seems normal and she eats and ranges as she usually does with the rest of the flock. I figured I’d give it a bit for her to work whatever it is out on her own. I checked her out tonight and everything seems to be okay. The weather did rapidly change from 70/80s to relatively cold in a short time period. Any advice or thoughts would help. Thanks you

Hey guys. Just looking for some advice. One of my hens, a 7 month old cream legbar suddenly stopped producing eggs about a week and a half ago. Her temperament seems normal and she eats and ranges as she usually does with the rest of the flock. I figured I’d give it a bit for her to work whatever it is out on her own. I checked her out tonight and everything seems to be okay. The weather did rapidly change from 70/80s to relatively cold in a short time period. Any advice or thoughts would help. Thanks you
I would put a cheap battery powered string light in the the coop. After daylight savings they will slow down. They need light for I think 12 hours a day.

Any advice or thoughts would help.
Sometimes pullets(first year layers) will lay all winter, sometimes they just slow down. sometimes they stop and have a partial molt. Only time will tell.

I would put a cheap battery powered string light in the the coop. After daylight savings they will slow down. They need light for I think 12 hours a day.
The days start shortening in June, it has nothing to do with changing the clocks.
It has more to do with them being affected by the every shorter days come fall.
If you do use supplemental lighting it must be on a timer to be consistent everyday.

Sometimes pullets(first year layers) will lay all winter, sometimes they just slow down. sometimes they stop and have a partial molt. Only time will tell.

The days start shortening in June, it has nothing to do with changing the clocks.
It has more to do with them being affected by the every shorter days come fall.
If you do use supplemental lighting it must be on a timer to be consistent everyday.
It's just something I've always done. I've thought about a timer but never did it. They've always slowed down when the days get short and after the molt. I keep mine on 24/7 never had a problem

It's just something I've always done. I've thought about a timer but never did it. They've always slowed down when the days get short and after the molt. I keep mine on 24/7 never had a problem
For how many years?
Having light on 24/7 is not good for layers.
Guessing the light might not be bright enough to stimulate the pineal gland.

For how many years?
Having light on 24/7 is not good for layers.
Guessing the light might not be bright enough to stimulate the pineal gland.
On and off I've raised them for about 15 years. This time around I converted an old shed into a layer coop. It's extremely dark, one set of rope lights about 5 feet long in the top corner is what I use. I've had more open coops in the past that didn't need any light, but on a full moon they would always choose roosting in the trees rather than the coop. I'd say the light could be compared to a candle in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom