Chicken stopped sitting on eggs?? will they still hatch???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teresa-78, Jul 15, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    My broody chicken stopped sitting on her eggs after 4 days, so I placed some in an incubator and some under my mothers broody hen,
    Im worried as the eggs were cold when I took them out the nest box, but they had only been left for an hour or so, will these eggs still
    hatch or was I too late?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chirping

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Depending on the ambient temp, during the summer, they should be fine.

3. teresa-78

teresa-78 Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    The weather was not the hottest here yesterday, the wind was rather bad, but they were sheltered in the coop, but they were cold to touch, I will candle the eggs
    after a week and see whats happening, fingers crossed, thanks for replying [​IMG]

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    As already pointed out, they will probably be OK.

"Cold to touch" means nothing, even here when temps can be over 40C in the shade, if I touch an egg that's been uncovered for thirty minutes it still feels cold, but in reality it can't be cold because the ambient temps are so high. I think you'll be fine.

Are you sure she's abandoned them? Ours often get off for hours on end, but it is hot here and humid too so I don't think it matters too much.

5. teresa-78

teresa-78 Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Yeah sadly she did, its her first time going broody, she would not get off to eat and drink, added food and water near her, but she did not
    touch them, she seemed in a trance, she ended with sloppy poo, which stank, and her cone is pale white looking, and droopy, she pooed all over the
    eggs, and made a right mess of them, (hope this wont effect them). Maybe more luck next time when she gets the hang of it. thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

6. kano

kano Songster

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    They are going to be O.K.

7. lowbike1

lowbike1 Hatching

Jun 22, 2011
    my hen stopped sitting on her eggs this morning, they had chilled quite a bit (not sure how long she was off for) I put her in a separate pen, and blocked it off so its dark... is it possible they are still viable?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by